The Sunshine State School Public Relations Association (SUNSPRA) announced its annual winners of Sunshine Medallion awards, in Tampa on June 13. The presentations were made at the opening session of the 2012 Florida Association of School Administrators by SUNSPRA President Dylan Thomas (Orange County) and President-elect Joe Landon (Collier County).
Twenty awards were given, of which four were proclaimed Best of Show winners. They were:
- “Expanding Our Reach: Collier County Public Schools District Website” for the Publications and PR Tools District-Based category.
- “Stingrays Online” by Palm Springs Middle School for the Publications and PR Tools School-Based category.
- “2011-2012 Orange County Public Schools’ Basketball Family and Friends 4-Pack Sponsorship Packages” for the Programs and Projects District-Based category.
- “Warrior Dads Program” by Okeeheelee Middle School for the Programs and Projects School-Based category.
Sunshine Medallion Awards are judged in two categories. In the Publications and Public Relations Tools Category, the winners were:
Annual Report – School District of Palm Beach County, Wellness Promotion Policy Annual Report.
Broadcast, Medium District – Marion County Public Schools, Classroom Connection – Golden Apple Episode.
Brochures and Flyers, Medium District – Marion County Public Schools, “Attracting Attention – Magnet Brochure”
Newsletter, Medium District – Marion County Public Schools, FASTFacts E-Newsletter.
Poster/Calendar, Medium District – Marion County Public Schools, 2011-2012 School Calendar.
- Small District – Citrus County, “Citrus County Festival of the Arts: A showcase of Student Talent”.
- Medium District – Collier County Public Schools, Engaging Our Students and the Community Career Academy.
- Large District – Orange County Public Schools, “New Schools, New Spirit: School Construction Promo.”
Special Purpose Publication:
- Medium District – Collier County Public Schools, “Enhancing Communication: 2011 Report to the Community.”
- Large District – Orange County Public Schools, “Community Resources Recognition Event, Anniversary Year.
- School – Palm Springs Middle School (Palm Beach County Schools), “Stingrays Online.”
- Medium District – Collier County Public Schools, “Expanding our Reach.”
In the Programs and Projects category, the winners were:
Overall Image, Large District – Duval County Public Schools, “Read It Forward Jax!”
Parent and Community Involvement:
- School – Okeeheelee Middle School (Palm Beach County), “Warrior Dad’s Program”.
- Medium District – Marion County Schools, “Be There” Campaign.
- Large District – Orange County Public Schools, “Change Starts With Me, Character Development Initiative.”
Fund Raising Campaign/Special Events, Large District – Orange County Public Schools, “2011-2012 Basketball Family & Friends 4-Pack Sponsorship.”
Other Programs & Projects, Large Districts (tie) –
- Lee County High Tech Center, “Edison Festival of Light Parade Float.”
- Orange County Public Schools, “Code of Student Conduct: Cell Phones.”
- Orange County Public Schools, “What’s News.”
Judging was conducted by nine Manatee County business people unaffiliated with any school or district.