In July of 2010 the U.S. House of Representatives passed a resolution designating the second week of September as “Arts in Education Week.” The resolution (H.Con.Res. 275) was proposed and introduced by Rep. Jackie Speier from California.
The resolution states: [...] Arts education, comprising a rich array of disciplines including dance, music, theatre, media arts, literature, design, and visual arts, is a core academic subject and an essential element of a complete and balanced education for all students.
Congress designated Arts in Education Week to promote and showcase the immense role arts education has in producing engaged, successful, and college and career-ready students.
Here are just a few ways that Palm Beach Arts Teachers are celebrating National Arts Education Week:
- Art Show at the Armory – Reception is this Friday evening September 14th, 2012.
- PBCATA meeting Thursday September 13th 4:30pm at Jerry’s Artarame
- Over 25 schools are preparing to participate in Pinwheels for PEACE.
- Teachers are featuring an artist & musician daily in art class and/or on the morning announcements.
- Encouraging parents to talk to their students about what they are doing in their arts classes.
- Students and their teachers are active on political, environmental, social & art issues by entering contests.
- Students are preparing to design the logo for the 2013 Race for the Arts T-shirt. (Race for the Arts is a fundraiser for many art classrooms in our county)