Cholee Lake Elementary teachers, students and parents will be participating in International Walk to School Day on Wednesday, October 3, 2012. Everyone interested in participating should be in the McDonalds Restaurant located at 6581 Forest Hill Blvd. in Greenacres (northwest corner) at 7:15 a.m. to walk to the school together.
Since 2000, an average of 355 unintentional pedestrian fatalities among children ages 14 and under has occurred each year. Children in low-income, densely populated, urban residential areas are at a substantially higher risk of pedestrian-related injury. To combat this national problem, the Safe Kids Worldwide, and program sponsor FedEx have developed Safe Kids Walk This Way, a multifaceted project designed to enhance safety for our children when walking to school.
We encourage all the families in Palm Beach County to become involved in this program.
Below are some helpful tips for walking safely with your child:
- Never allow children under age 10 to cross streets alone. Children need to be old enough to develop the skills to cross streets safely.
- Always model and teach proper pedestrian behavior.
- Instruct children to look left, right and left again when crossing streets, and to continue looking as they cross.
- Make sure children don’t run into streets or dart from between parked cars.
- Require children to wear retro reflective materials and carry a flashlight at dawn, at dusk, and in bad weather.
For more information contact Liza Asch at (561) 383-9600 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Public Affairs Contact: Natalia Arenas – (561) 357-7662 – email@example.com